Call for Proposals for 2019 SPSSI-SASP Small Group Conference in Australasia
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 06 December 2017 02:41
Call for Proposals for a 2019 SPSSI-SASP Small Group Conference in North America or Australasia.
Proposals/Letters of Interest are invited by April 30, 2018 for a 2019 small group conference meeting jointly sponsored by the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI) and the Society of Australasian Social Psychologists (SASP).
This meeting will add to a list of previous successful meetings, including:
- 2018 meeting (May 18-20) on the psychology of sustainable consumption: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, US (conveners: Dr Matt Ruby, LaTrobe; Dr Hanne M Watkins, UPenn; Prof Iain Walker, UCanberra; & Prof Geoff Goodwin, UPenn).
- 2017 meeting (April) on the psychology of morality: University of Melbourne, Melbourne (conveners: Dr Brock Bastian & Dr Simon Laham, UMelbourne)
- 2016 meeting (November) on immigration: University of Ottawa, Canada (conveners: Prof Vicky Esses * Prof Jolanda Jetten)
- 2015 meeting (April) on collective harmdoing: University of Queensland, Brisbane (conveners A/Prof Winnifred R. Louis, UQ; A/ Prof Catherine E. Amiot, Université du Québec à Montréal; Dr. Emma F. Thomas, Murdoch University).
Those interested in organizing a meeting for the 2019 meeting have the option of planning the small group meeting as a pre-conference or post-conference event around the SPSSI conference in North America or the SASP conference in Australasia, but this is certainly not essential. Feedback/decisions to this round of proposals/letters of interest will be provided to applicants by June 15, 2018.
A total of $7,000 in support is available for each meeting as part of a collaboration between SPSSI and SASP. The purpose of the collaboration is to help strengthen links between the two organizations so that members of each may have opportunities to discuss research questions of mutual interest. This new series is modeled after the successful SPSSI-EASP small group conference series.
Conference Proposal Guidelines:
In most cases:
- This program will support one meeting a year.
- Conference themes will be related to social issues and have international relevance (i.e., not focused on intra-national issues).
- At least 80% of persons attending the conference will be members of one or both organizations
- Representation from the two societies will be balanced: with no more than two-thirds of the participants being members of one of the organizations.
- Each conference will have two (or more) organizers; at least one will be a member of SPSSI and one a member of SASP. Preferably one organizer will be located in Australasia and the other in North America.
- Conference organizers are encouraged to facilitate publication of material on the conference topic through the Journal of Social Issues or SPSSI's book series.
Please see the SPSSI | SASP website for additional details and (sort of) updates:
David Livert & Stefania Paolini
SPSSI and SASP Small Group Conference representatives